Job Opening at the Historical Society
The Lake Placid-North Elba Historical Society (Historical Society) is seeking a Director/Collections Manager. This person reports to the President and is responsible for the management of office activities, implementation of programs, and care of the Historical Society’s collections. Additionally, he/she works with the Board of Trustees and its Committees to achieve the goals and objectives of the organization.
The applicant must be a well-organized and detail-oriented self-starter, who is mature and capable of primarily independent work. The candidate will enjoy working with the public and will have strong verbal and written communication skills. He/she has to be proficient in Microsoft Office applications and knowledgeable about basic financial reports. Experience in grant writing is desirable, and familiarity with non-profit/museum software is a plus. The job does entail a degree of physical strength, mobility and dexterity.
- Interface and provide administrative support to Board of Trustees and Society committees.
- Represent the Society to the public and respond to all inquiries.
- Maintain office files and organization.
- Responsible for all functions related to the production and mailing of the Society’s bi-annual newsletter, annual appeal, and maintenance of memberships.
- Coordinate and attend Board meetings.
- Provide a monthly activities report to Board.
- Ensure the History Museum is staffed and open for prescribed hours. Hire and train staff as needed.
- Encourage and implement day and evening programs to increase public awareness and visitation to the History Museum.
- Organize events by securing speakers, negotiate dates and contracts, and secure venues.
- Generate interest and attendance through mailings, social media, and other marketing techniques.
- Share Society events, exhibits, programs, and collections through press releases, promotional materials, e-blasts, and social media on a scheduled and timely basis.
- Design and execute focused mailings, print ads, flyers, and program brochures.
- Conduct public presentations about the Historical Society to various constituents.
- Maintain website in conjunction with webmaster. Maintain Facebook, and Instagram pages.
- Identify grant sources, prepare grants, and file reports.
- Develop and execute membership mailings and annual appeal. Generate thank you letters.
- Maintain accurate membership statuses and mailing lists.
- Coordinate fundraising events, taking lead role in the organization of these events.
- Applies museum best practices to the processing, arrangement, and preservation of the Historical Society artifacts and archives.
- Utilize Past Perfect to manage the collections and archives.
- Assist Museum Committee on the design and execution of exhibits.
- Educate the Board on collections care priorities. Make recommendations for accessioning and deaccessioning of artifacts.
Applicants for this 30-hour-per-week, Lake Placid-based position should send a cover letter, resume, and reference list to firstname.lastname@example.org or to LP-NE Historical Society, PO Box 189, Lake Placid NY 12946. The deadline for submissions is April 24, 2017.
For more information on the Historical Society, see our website at www.lakeplacidhistory.com.