The Lake Placid-North Elba Historical Society (the Society) is a membership organization created in 1948 for the purpose of documenting the history of the Village of Lake Placid and the Town of North Elba. In 1967 two patrons of the Society purchased the Train Station from the Penn Central Railroad Corporation, which had ceased both passenger and freight operations into Lake Placid. The Station was given to the Society in order to provide a permanent home for the organization as well as to create a museum. The Society is a 501C3 organization, and is chartered by the New York State Board of Regents.
Our mission is to preserve and present our community’s history in ways that are educational and enriching for residents and visitors.